Hi Michael,

This system exist on Neogia project with config directory. At the root of the project, we put a site.properties that read all config files on the site directory.

I think, we can contribut all idea to ofbiz projet, if you want ;)

Nicolas

If

Michael Brohl a écrit :
Hi all,

we have changed the OFBiz configuration mechanism for our latest projects and I think this change could be useful also for the OFBiz standard.

The problem:
Our customers often have several server systems for one project, at least a development, a test and a production server. Some of them have even more, up to five systems. All servers have different IP addresses, sometimes different port settings, different cache settings etc. This is hard to handle and it is error-prone to edit the configuration sets for every system after the project is checked out to the target server. Additionally it would be more convenient to edit the settings at a central place instead of many different files in the project.
So we thought about a more elegant solution for it.

The solution:
The solution is simple and implemented with the tools the project already contains: Ant and some template configuration files.

We have moved all necessary configuration files from their origin to a special folder called templates and removed the values from them. The values are written in a separate build.properties file. A new Ant target creates the target configuration files from the templates an the build.properties file and copies them to the original location. These files are in the svn ignore list so that they are not checked in by accident.

For every system we have additional property files like test.properties, live.properties etc. If we want a configuration other than the default from build.properties, the ant configuration target ist executed with the corresponding machine name (e.g. ant -Dmachine.name=live build.xml configure-and-build). These files only contain the changes from the build properties file.

If a property file local.properties exists, it will be processed after build.properties to have a local developers configuration available.

The following changes have to be made:

1. create a new folder configure and the folders templates and properties under it 2. create the configuration templates and corresponding build.properties file from the original configuration files 3. delete the original files after adding them to svn:ignore to avoid checking them back in 4. create a new build file in the configure folder to do the configuration.
5. add a new configuration target to the main build file

This is a simple but powerful solution and we are quite happy with it. We would like to contribute this solution as a patch if you find it as useful as we do.
I appreciate your feedback!

Regards,

Michael Brohl

Michael Brohl
Leitung Consulting eCommerce
Agrenon GmbH
Johanniskirchplatz 6
33615 Bielefeld
Deutschland
Fon: +49 521 5247-0
Fax: +49 521 5247-250
Mobil: +49 160 36 64 918

Company and Management Headquarters:
Agrenon GmbH, Johanniskirchplatz 6, 33615 Bielefeld, Deutschland, Fon: +49 521
5247-0, Fax: +49 521 5247-250, www.agrenon.com

Court Registration: Amtsgericht Bielefeld HRB 36795
Chief Executive Officer: Dirk Osterkamp

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besuchen Sie uns!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]: Releasewechsel SAP BI 7.0 &
Produktroadmap SAP

19. Juni 2008
Beginn: 15.00 Uhr
Geschäftsstelle Bielefeld