Based upon the discussion in a previous thread (OFBiz themes gallery on Confluence) I thought it would be beneficial to start a discussion on implementing UI Themes or Visual Themes in the OFBiz framework.

What we have discussed so far:

1. Themes can be provided by third parties. Themes can be added to the framework by placing them in the hot-deploy folder.

2. Themes can be selected by the user in the back office applications, and they can be assigned to catalogs and stores in eCommerce.

3. The theme implementation should allow for one or more stylesheets and additional properties per theme.

What we will need:

1. One or more entities to store theme information.

2. A handful of services for theme storing and retrieving.

3. Theme selection UI artifacts. We'll need a theme selection screen for the back office applications - probably kept in the common component and used in the MyPage component. We'll need a theme lookup screen or "theme chooser" - also kept in the common component. It will be used in the Product and eCommerce applications.

I have some experience implementing user-selected UI themes - we have had that capability on our local OFBiz copy since 2004. I would like to help get this implemented in the trunk.

If anyone would like to help, please let me know and I'll create a Jira issue for it.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!