On Jul 27, 2008, at 9:57 PM, David E Jones wrote:

If I understand this right some other words to consider might be "tag" or "label" or the like instead of metadata. Technically an entity definition is itself "meta data" because it describes the data. In a way this would be a sort of "meta meta data" because it is describes the stuff that describes the data.

For this specific need maybe something less generic might actually work better. Are there really other types of tags that we would want to associate with the entities, or should we just stick with something BI-specific. Also, for the BI need would we need just one tag, or multiple tags for a given entity? It might also be nice to have the possible values, or at least some of them, built into the XSD to keep them consistent and self-documenting.

I guess what I'm thinking after all this is that a simple attribute like "olap-type" or something with the options in the XSD might be both easier to use (self-document, less error-prone) and better fit the problem.

Thanks David, this would be enough for what I need to do; I just need a similar attribute for the "entity" and "view-entity" elements: should I use the same name ("olap-type") of the attribute of the "field" element? But maybe olap-type is a good name also for the entity attribute (with values: "fact", "star-schema", "dimension").

What do you think?