From: "David E Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Nov 27, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

3. Convert the existing artifact gathering code to a
screen widget visitor. That would get the artifact gathering
code out of the model widgets and put it where it belongs.
It would probably simplify the artifact gathering code as
well.

I'm not sure what this means... but I might be missing
something obvious. Hopefully someone else has more helpful
comments.

I can't think of a simpler way to explain it. The artifact info gathering code belongs in the webtools component, not in the model widget classes. In other words, it's okay for artifact info gathering classes to know about model widget classes, but model widget classes shouldn't have to know about artifact info gathering.

I see, the Artifact Info stuff.

Actually, I'd prefer the opposite. IMO things should be as self- describing and know as much about themselves and things they depend on as possible. That's something I'd really rather not externalize. In fact, it would have been really cool if this stuff just used for artifact info was inherent in the classes, but because things are looked at differently than how they are when they are actually used it doesn't quite work that way, or more importantly sometimes it DOES work that way so it would be a pain to have that separated.

Either way, this stuff certainly doesn't belong in the webtools webapp. The actual intended use of this code was originally to be data gathering code for an IDE plugin. So far no one has picked that project up, and we needed something to test this stuff with (and it is moderately useful too), so that is why there is a very basic UI for it in webtools.

-David

I saw BJ speaking about artifact info many times before I really used it this
week.
I understand now why he was so interested. For instance, one hard thing to deal
with in OFBiz is to create a mental path from, say,
an event to a service called thru an ECA, called by and ECA, call....
I experienced that this week while working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2058. I then thought about how sweet would be an UI for that (Eclipse plugin for instance...).