I've been looking into some of these for a while now (ServiceMix, as well as others that have existed over the years). The basic problem is: what will we do with them?

Usually an ESB is used within an organization to integrate various applications by trying to get all of the applications to talk to the ESB. OFBiz would just be one of those applications. It would be great to make sure we could talk effectively to ServiceMix and/or other ESBs, but of less value to actually include ServiceMix into OFBiz.

In short we want to work well with ESBs, but if an organization needs/ wants an ESB then they will probably choose than independently of whatever OFBiz or any other application offers. In other words, it is of more value to work with a variety of ESBs than to include any.

On a related note, if want ServiceMix compatibility we should do that without any ServiceMix libraries. The whole point is loose coupling, and if we get working well with ServiceMix in a loosely coupled way we'll have a better chance of working well with other app servers.

One interesting project we may want to include in OFBiz in order to work better with external service environments is CXF. It has libraries for exposing services with a wide variety of standards support, and for consuming services available from a wide variety of standards. The only question I had based on limited research of it was whether or not we could interact with it at a low enough level to be able to automatically expose Service Engine services in a variety of ways, and also map incoming service calls of various types of OFBiz Service Engine services (like we do with XML-RPC and to some extend with Axis for SOAP).

-David