From: "David E Jones" <david.jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Trying to use this literally, the interpretation is: indent with 4  spaces, and
don't ever use tabs.

It says: "Four spaces should be used as the unit of indentation. The exact construction of the indentation (spaces vs. tabs) is unspecified. Tabs must be set exactly every 8 spaces (not 4)."

If tabs must be set exactly 8 spaces, how can you use that to indent 4 spaces? Only use a tab to represent two levels of indentation? This part of it is really poorly worded, and who knows what they were trying to express.

I think that the idea is to show tabs by indenting them twice in the editor. Itdoes not mean that you will save them as 8 spaces. Hence this allows you to more easily spot tabs in code and replace them with 4 spaces.

My 2cts

Jacques

To keep things consistently formatted the only options are to stick with all tabs or all spaces, and for the formatting to be consistent among multiple people spaces are the only option otherwise different tab settings will result in different code formatting.

A huge deal? Nope. That's why we've chosen to keep it simple: always  use 4
spaces.

The problems arise when people don't do things consistently, and then we end up with others cleaning up formatting while making other changes and patches and commits become full of irrelevant changes, making them hard to review, etc. If we all stick to it (and correct with formatting only commits that don't do anything else) then it's not a problem.

So: 4 spaces, 4 spaces, 4 spaces. It's that simple.

Yes, people could debate all day, but keeping it on a pragmatic level,  this is
all we need.

-David