This looks like a good start Torstein.

How do you see this fitting in with the stories that are currently in the UBPL (ie: http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBREQDES/Universal+Business+Process+Library+Index)?

-David

On Jun 22, 2009, at 1:23 AM, Torstein Hegbom wrote:

Please find the user story below:
-------------------------
1.1     A delivery project
A delivery project will deliver some functionality, where the functionality is based upon a requirement from a business organisation. The functionality
is some text that describes an organisation, some processes and some
business rules.

The delivery can be a physical piece, a building or it can be an IT system. All of these has in common that there is a need for a project organisation
to deliver. The project will have a planned start-date and a planned
end-date. The project will have an project organisation and a project
manager.

The most important role of the project manager is to manage the changes impacted on the project organization. This can be changes external to the project, changes in the project staffing or changes in what and when to deliver. If the project manager fails to manage these details, the project
will fail. However having a good steering group and a good change
management, the project manager has good prospects to succeed.
1.2     Two different preconditions
Below there is mentioned two different cases where a project can be
initiated.
1.2.1   A new delivery for a new customer
If there is not an established customer, there may be a RFQ (request for information), and there may be a bid-process. In any case the result will be an agreement for a delivery, with delivery-terms. The agreement will outline
a delivery date and the functional requirements.
1.2.2   A new delivery for an existing customer
If there is an established customer, there may be cases where the line
organisation finds the delivery too big (too many man-hours) that cannot be done in an ordinary maintenance delivery-release, and decides to establish a
new project.
1.3     Change orders
All changes related in dates or functionality will be handled by the project manager (and the change manager), by change-orders. The change orders can be written by the customer or the supplier, using a computer or a hand held
device.

These change orders are analysed and estimated by the project organisation. The analysis will describe the impact on the delivery date and the added cost for the customer. The change board will finally sign the change order,
and it will added to the agreement.
1.4     Project model
All organizations should have a project model, which is used for all
delivery projects. This will make the steering group committee have an
easier job of understanding the status of the project. The project model will describe the phases and the decision points in the project. The project model can vary from company to company. One project model can be a delivery
project that has four phases:
.       Analysis phase
.       Delivery phase
.       Verification phase
.       Deployment and handover phase

Note that the project can be split into smaller projects, but all
subprojects will have all phases, independent upon the method used for
implementing the requirements.
1.4.1   Decision point
Within each phase there will be milestones. Each of the milestones has a
delivery that can be celebrated by a cake. If the achievement is not
applicable for a cake, it is not a milestone. Connected to a milestone there can be a decision-point. A decision that cannot be made before the milestone
has been passed. The decision point is related to the project and the
information to the decision is quantifiable, and could relate to cost and/or resources. Milestones can have dependencies and can be used as an outline
plan before adding the tasks.

The decision points are numbered DP1, DP2, etc, and the decision will be
documented, so that the next project will learn from this project.
1.5     Analysis phase
The main goal of the analysis phase is to detail requirements and details the plan. The result should be a functional description giving details into
the specifications, what and how to deliver and the dates of the plan.

The following documents should be produced from the analysis phase:
.       Functional specifications describing what will be delivered,
connected to the requirement in the agreement
.       For each functional specification there will be written acceptance
criterions
.       The plan will be detailed
.       A Bill of Materials (BOM). A document that describes what pieces and
documents that will be delivered internally and externally to aid the final
delivery (including verification and training).
1.6     Delivery phase
The delivery project will be to produce the results described during the
analysis phase, and to merge in the changes that are arriving from the
change-management.
1.7     Verification phase
During the verification phase the customer/klient will verify each piece that has been delivered from the delivery phase. Normally there will be an internal verification before the customer/klient verification is started.

The number of changes during this phase is more than in any other phase, since everybody now can understand how the end-result will work in practice. The change-board will be an aid to keep the process moving and decide if a given change will be delivered in the project or the first change- delivery
after the project.
1.8     Deployment and handover phase
During deployment there may be a migration process from the old to the new.
Typically the migration is a sub-project.

After the deployment has been done there will be a handover phase where the
project is scaling down after each piece has been handed over and the
training has been finalized.

When all handover has been done there is a final acceptance, the agreement has been fulfilled and there may be written an agreement for maintenance.