Before I create a JIRA for this I want to make sure that I understand the
expected behaviour.  Our situation is that we have a sales order with a
product shipped from non-serialized inventory.  If the customer now returns
the order the magic begins ...

It appears that the "quickReceiveReturn" (when receiving inventory is
required) will always set the statusId of the received inventory item to
"INV_RETURNED" (unless otherwise specified on the ReturnItem).  The trouble
here is that strictly speaking, INV_RETURNED is only valid for serialized
inventory (according to the StatusItem seed data).  And if you were to
create a ReturnItem with an empty expectedStatusId, the service would go
ahead and override it to INV_RETURNED on you.

Business Process time -- is the line of thinking here that all products that
are received create inventory item records with this status and it is up to
the company to check these and change their status to something more
applicable (blank for non-ser and INV_AVAILABLE for ser?).

Our business process is going to dictate that when a return is explicitly
returned, we are going to consider that inventory "re-stocked" and we will
want services that return the available counts to properly reflect the
returned goods.  If I was to set the return item's expected status id to
INV_AVAILABLE (while not valid according to StatusItem) it would at least be
properly reflected in services such as getProductInventoryAvailable.

Perhaps the solution is to allow "INV_AVAILABLE" and "INV_RETURNED" as valid
statuses for non serialized inventory (or some variant of those).

Thoughts?