Sandy,
This is interesting. I have tried doing something similar institutions around our Indore (India) office.

Ofbiz has its system for implementing unit tests. Recently Jira issue OFBIZ-2854 was created for unit test implementation. There are lots of other similar jira issues that have been defined and implemented in past.

It will be nice if you can review these assets and let us know how we can help with your plan. 1) I (and few others from Hotwax Media) can help by reviewing the contribution and commit them to trunk when they are ready. 2) I know Sumit Pandit from our company is working on implementing list of Unit tests for accounting component. He can be creating Jira issues and students can provide implementations.

Regards
Anil Patel