  From: Ashish Vijaywargiya
  To: dev@ofbiz.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 9:16 AM
  Subject: Re: Designs behind OFBiz

  Hello Divesh,

  This is very good post and I would wait to see comment from other senior
members involved in this project.
  Here are few points that I was thinking since last few days and putting here
for  your reference.

  -- Initially the project was following the design pattern provided in the
book "Core J2ee Patterns" http://www.corej2eepatterns.com/.

  -- As the time passed away community discussed so many things on the mailing
list and then did vote to move further with the best things in favor of the
project. Here are few things that I remembered.

  --- Initially OFBiz was distributed with jsp files for presentation purpose
and then later we have switched to FTL's.

  --- JPublish was used initially - I am not able to memorize too much details
on this project. In past there were no / less activity in this project so
community decided to move something better and stable in this area. Now the
project is moved to GoogleCode - Please refer:
http://code.google.com/p/jpublish/

  --- Move from Beanshell to Groovy. The activity on Beanshell project was
almost nil so community decided to move to the alternate framework for
scripting purpose. There were a long discussion on mailing list to choose which
one from available alternates i.e Groovy & Ruby scripting language. Then due to
so many similarity in Groovy code with Java Syntax community moved along with
Groovy project. AFAIK beanshell was one man army open source project - I can be
wrong on this point but again this is in my memory.

  --- Another interesting document: http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/JAw

  HTH!

  --
  Ashish

  On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Divesh Dutta <divesh.du...@hotwaxmedia.com>
    I would like to know that, Was there any Blue Print, or Design developed
when OFBiz was imagined or started. Do we have any documentation, Where when
one get information like, What Design patterns were kept in mind when OFBiz was
started.

    How OFBiz evolved or What was initial thought behind this and as time went
by , How these designs changed?

    Thanks
    --
    Divesh Dutta