Adam Heath wrote:
Adrian Crum wrote:
Adam Heath wrote:
Adrian Crum wrote:
When I refactored FlexibleStringExpander.java a while ago (rev 687442),
there were things I wanted to improve but couldn't - because I wanted to
maintain backward-compatibility.

Adam's recent memory-saving efforts reminded me of one of the things I
wanted to change in FlexibleStringExpander.java - I wanted to make the
object more lightweight.

OFBiz can hold anywhere from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands
of these objects in memory, so an object size reduction could be
beneficial.

With that under consideration, I would like to do a little more work on
the class. What I have in mind is to keep the existing API the same - to
preserve backward compatibility - but add an interface so that we can
make gradual changes to framework code that will improve memory use.
Er, no.  Rewrites for the sole purpose of reducing memory are bad.
Try to profile ofbiz first.  All the stuff I recently did was the
direct outcome of inspecting memory dumps.
So those rewrites were NOT for the sole purpose of reducing memory?

Er, I mean to say that don't just assume that you need to rewwrite it.

I'm looking at the memory usage in heap analyzer right now.

I never assume. I evaluated it back when I did the original refactor - which was done, by the way, for the sole purpose of reducing memory use.