Hi Scott, from my perspective it would be a starting point in turning a bunch of independent committers into a well organised team.

Scott Gray wrote:
That's makes it sounds more like a help directory for who to call upon when a user has a
question.  What benefit would a community member derive from knowing that you know that a
French week starts on a Monday?  If they have a question they can just post it to the
user list and get a response, does it make a difference if they start the message with
"Hi Adrian,"?

What additional rights or responsibilities would come with declaring yourself
an expert/overseer for a given area of functionality?

I'm not coming out against the idea, I just still don't understand what we'll
actually achieve by doing so.

Regards
Scott