Yep; when I attempted to do variance on inventory items for serialized
inventory I traveled down that path to the ECA you are referring to.  The
trouble is that there is another ECA defined a couple of lines up ...

    <eca entity="InventoryItem" operation="create-store" event="return">
        <action service="updateSerializedInventoryTotals" mode="sync"/>
    </eca>

And this one does the set the QOH/ATP based on the status (for serialized
only).  So after the ECA is fired and updates the InventoryItem to put them in
line based on the detail, this one turns around and updates them again and
potentially puts them back out of wack.

As for the use case for "held" inventory items.  If that is a reasonable use
case then I agree 100%.  What we do is use location for these situations -- for
example, when a PO is received we allow the user to receive the inventory into
a specific location.  So if there is a "review" location that is not pickable
then it may move there.  Otherwise, it may move into a stockroom location that
would be pickable.

Putting inventory items on "hold" is perfectly reasonable.  I would have to
look at the code again, but I wonder how this is done for non-serialized items.
 Does it break the "bundle" of items (InventoryItem) into two so that one can
be on "hold" while the other one can have no status?  Currently, the
"INV_ON_HOLD" is defined under a "SERIALIZED_INV_ITEM" parent so it is actually
somewhat invalid to even set this on non-serialized items.

Jacopo, if I start to make some changes based on our discussions would you be
willing to to review the changes?