I would suggest to:
1) release 10.04 before the merge is done
2) merge the code to the trunk, switch to it, fix any possible issue
3) do another release (10.06?)

I know this is not inline with what we currently think a release should be, but
this is very inline with what the ASF practices and so I will continue to
insist with the release-often practice. :-)

Jacopo