I haven't looked at the actual code changes in question, but this scenario seems fairly common - I would guess at least 10% of our POs are prepaid. Some vendors don't require you to prepay, but will give a substantial discount if you do.

On May 5, 2010, at 1:38 AM, Sam Hamilton wrote:

Hey Adrian,

While its true most don't go this way, if you bought some books from
Amazon then you would need to pay before they would ship ;-)

This kind of interaction happens when the transaction is between 2
businesses where the supplier is used to dealing with end consumers
rather than businesses that request credit.

Cheers
Sam

On 05/05/2010 13:14, Adrian Crum wrote:
Yeah, that scenario sounds pretty specific. That's not how most US businesses work.

-Adrian

--- On Tue, 5/4/10, Sam Hamilton <s...@sh81.com> wrote:

From: Sam Hamilton <s...@sh81.com>
Subject: Re: svn commit: r941132 - in /ofbiz/trunk/applications: accounting/script/org/ofbiz/accounting/payment/PaymentServices.xml accounting/servicedef/services_payment.xml order/servicedef/ secas.xml
To: dev@ofbiz.apache.org
Date: Tuesday, May 4, 2010, 8:00 PM
Hi Scott,

We will ring a supplier and get a quote for a product,
agree the terms
e.g. pay first then they send the goods or 30 days credit
or pay on
delivery of goods. Then create a Purchase Order and then
wire them the
payment, the goods will then be delivered to our warehouse
where we
receive against the PO.

Sometimes the supplier can send too much or too little
goods at which
point either our purchasing department chases them for more
products or
we then send an additional wire for the extra cash or we
get credit from
the supplier to use against the next order.

From my understanding of the flow of OFBiz you need to
create the
Purchase Order, approve it and then once the goods have
been received in
full the Purchase Invoice is generated which then kicks in
the
Agreements which you set during the creation of the
Purchase Invoice and
finally the Purchase Invoice is shown to the Accounts
Payable team for
payment.

Yes I agree that this seems the wrong way round but this is
how the
business is done here and I can't change that - China can
seem very
inefficient at times.

Perhaps a On/Off switch for this code could be made - then
it suits all
companies? How best to make this work for everyone?

Cheers
Sam