Okay, I got the XML parsing errors fixed. It required new schemas.

If we want to add this feature to the project, we will need two versions of
some schemas (all screen widget xsd files, simple-methods.xsd and
site-conf.xsd). The new versions could include a version number in the file
name, like widget-screen-v2.xsd as an example.

Adding the version number to the xsd file name also solves another problem -
currently all versions of OFBiz are referencing a single xsd file version. In
the future, as xsd files are changed, they could be given a new version number
and the dependent XML files would be updated to reference them. Or we could
have the version number in the url and put the new schemas in the new url.

David suggested using schema includes to share schemas (like for widget
actions). This change could be a first step in that direction - because the new
schemas will have their own namespace.

I have updated the Jira issue with a new patch so everyone can take a look:

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

-Adrian