Just to give an update, I solved this problem by enhancing the method
PaymentGatewayServices.processAuthResult to replace the credit card number
after the authorization is complete.

String number = (String)creditCard.get("cardNumber");
String lastFourDigits = number.substring(number.length() - 4,
number.length());
String firstDigits = number.substring(0, number.length() - 4);
firstDigits = Pattern.compile(".").matcher(firstDigits).replaceAll("x");
creditCard.set("cardNumber", firstDigits + lastFourDigits);
creditCard.store();

I also had to modify the capture and refund methods in the specific
processor code to use the request token instead of the credit card number.

I really do wish ofbiz would build this as a configurable option into the
system as I have worked with some of the biggest online ecommerce retailers
and in my experience storing credit card numbers is not the best practice.