Hi,

FYI: I noticed this message, but from http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#how-to-archive I think we don't have to worry since we have only 2 stable releases

Jacques

Mark Thomas wrote:
PMC members,

As the ASF grows in size, so does the total size of the distribution
artefacts we ask our mirror community to support for us. The larger this
total size, the greater the strain on both ASF infrastructure and on the
mirroring system.

As per the release guidelines [1], only current releases should be
available at http://www.apache.org/dist/. Monitoring of
http://www.apache.org/dist/ [2] shows that some projects are not
removing old releases. This is placing an unnecessary strain on both ASF
infrastructure and on our mirror volunteers.

Thanks to those PMCs that have been removing old releases from their
distribution directory. The infrastructure appreciates you keeping on
top of this.

PMCs that have not been removing old releases are required to review
their current distribution directory and remove any old releases.
- PMCs using svnpubsub should remove old releases via svn.
- PMCs not using svnpubsub should remove old releases directly from
/www/www.apache.org/dist/<tlp> on people.apache.org at. Note that any
deletions may take up to 24 hours to replicate to http://www.apache.org/dist
In both cases it may take longer for changes to replicate to mirrors.

Old releases removed from http://www.apache.org/dist/ are not lost.
Release are automatically copied to http://archive.apache.org/dist/ and
are never deleted.

This inevitably raises the question what is a current release and what
is an old release. To some extent, this varies from project to project
but typically it amounts to the following:
a) latest release of the current branch
b) latest stable release of the current branch
c) latest stable release of previous branches

It is hard to give concrete examples that apply to all projects since
each project is free to use its own release numbering scheme. However, a
project that includes versions 2.1.0, 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 in its release
directory almost certainly has some cleaning up to do. A project that
includes 1.0.6, 1.1.5 and 2.0.7 probably doesn't.

If you have any questions about how to manage your distribution
directory please contact the infrastructure team.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
on behalf of the ASF Infrastructure Team

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
[2] http://people.apache.org/~henkp/tlps/