How about defining a test sql statement in entityegine.xml which could be specific to DBMS. For example 'select * from dual" in oracle and MySQL, "Select 1" in PostgreSQL. Idea is to use the DBMS specific SQL and make it configurable in the entityengine.xml so that it can be configured while configuring the datasource.

Thanks,

Raj