From: "Adrian Crum" <adrian.c...@sandglass-software.com>
On 5/25/2012 7:25 AM, Thibault Saint-Marc wrote:
Hi All,

using OFBiz in Chinese environment for an ERP in China, I realize how the
translations can be improved.
quick examples:
     <property key="Accounting">
         <value xml:lang="zh">财务</value>
         <value xml:lang="zh_CN">会计</value>
         <value xml:lang="zh_TW">財務</value>
     </property>
     <property key="CommonActiveInactive">
         <value xml:lang="zh">有效的和无效的</value>
         <value xml:lang="zh_CN">不在用</value>
         <value xml:lang="zh_TW">有效的和無效的</value>
     </property>
     <property key="CommonNext">
         <value xml:lang="zh">下一步</value>
         <value xml:lang="zh_CN">后</value>
         <value xml:lang="zh_TW">下一步</value>
     </property>

1) the first problem is that some properties have values in zh, zh_CN and
zh_TW.
well, what is zh if not zh_CN ?
I suggest that we put the 'mandarin' (普通话, simplified Chinese) version in
the zh locale as a default, and the Taiwanese (traditional Chinese) version
in zh_TW.
I can keep zh_CN as a copy of zh but I guess it is useless. or is it ? how
does the algorithm work in OFBiz to get the right locale ?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html

The idea is that you overrides not common values. For instance take French.
In fr you would put all common words (avoid long sentences).
in fr_FR you would put French specific words (slang? I don't see any other
usage)
in fr_CH you would put Swiss specific  words
in fr_BE you would put Belgian specific words
in fr_CA you would put Canadian specific words
in fr_LU you would put Luxembourg specific words
Actually nobody never did any of these, and all words are in fr.

There are some for en_GB, same idea applies.

please note that having just zh_CN and zh_TW won't do because some browser
will have zh as locale instead of zh_CN so we need that one (same way it
looks like there is only 'en' for english and no 'en_US', 'en_GB',...)

2) some translations in 'mandarin' are bad (zh or zh_CN): Accounting->  the
zh translation means 'finance', the zh_CN is right
Actually it looks like the zh_CN translation was done according to the
specifications of someone, but doesn't match the OOTB version.

That needs to be discussed with the Chinese community

Can an expert of Locales confirm my vision (just zh with Mandarin, and
zh_TW for Taiwanese) and then I can work on a patch to correct all these
simplified Chinese versions with Chinese people ?

Makes sense to me, since zh_CN is de facto the reference. But again, that needs
to be discussed with the Chinese community.

My 2cts

Jacques

Note I will work only on the zh=zh_CN, because it looks like the zh_TW is
better and I am not able to change those.

Thanks

Thibault