On 6/1/2012 6:42 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
On Jun 1, 2012, at 6:44 AM, Scott Gray wrote:

The only problem there would be that the information would need to be known
when the record was created since fromDate forms part of the primary key.  It's
entirely possible that the user could create the contact mech themselves via
the ecommerce app and then later an external service runs to gather that type
of information from an authoritative source for fraud detection purposes.
Hypothetical but entirely conceivable I would imagine.

There is also a difference between validity dates in the system
(fromDate/thruDate) and the information about the number of years/months the
contact was valid in the real world.
I have to admit I was not aware of these 2 fields and at first I was inclined
to remove them, but after reading the use cases from Adam and Scott I think it
makes sense to leave them, or replace them with sinceYear (or similar/better
name) where the use can store the year (e.g. 2003) the contact mech was used
the first time and a sinceMonth field (Jan, Feb...) to be used optionally if
sinceYear is set.

sinceYear or fromYear would make more sense than the current fields. The existing fields are meaningless without a time reference.