Hey Everyone,

over at ilscipio (www.ilscipio.com) we developed a set of functional OFBiz
changes that we believe the entire community could benefit from. The changes
have been implemented in parts in Syracus (www.syracus.net) for a while now,
but we figured that some of which are too crucial for ofbiz' success in the
long run, so we are considering the contribution (as we did with the SOLR
component).

As you are probably aware, OFBiz has a pretty uncommon way of generating
URLs. Most of this has to do with the fact that OFBiz uses a servlet
(ControlServlet)  to handle all requests. The servlet is mounted at
/control, so that it won't interfere with other servlets. Though
functionally valid, this has the sideeffect that all urls are actually
created on /control, which is neither pretty, nor good by any measures of
SEO. It also means that a few 302 redirects are necessary to forward the
user from / to /control/main. It also makes requests more complicated, since
many forwards are necessary whenever somebody wants to move away from this
implementation.

Since this is hurtful to many of the implementers, I wanted to discuss
whether or not you guys would be interested in the changes we have made. The
functional changes contain:

* Removal of /control out of all the urls
* SEO-friendly URLS
* Configurable product/category and other URLs
* Frontpage mapping from /main to /

It was tested on our end and contains all necessary improvements
(Transforms, Sample Configuration, Servlets & Filters) for it to be
applicable.

If interested, I would create a new JIRA ticket for this and after a few
minor internal discussions, we will gladly provide the rest of you with it.

Regards,
Paul