Current situation: in OFBiz we are currently using/distributing a patched
version of Freemarker 2.3.19; the patch version addresses the bugs reported
below.

News: the new version of Freemarker (2.3.20) has been finally released and it
is available for download:

http://freemarker.org/docs/versions_2_3_20.html

Good News: the deadlock issue that was affecting OFBiz (under special
conditions) that we have reported and helped to fix, has been resolved:

http://sourceforge.net/p/freemarker/bugs/361/

Bad News: the "Wrong overloaded method" issue, for which Adam Heat submitted a
patch to the Freemarker community and patched the 2.3.19 release we are using,
was not resolved in this release:

http://sourceforge.net/p/freemarker/bugs/363/

Adam, could you please check this comment from Daniel and possibly follow up
with him?

http://sourceforge.net/p/freemarker/bugs/363/?limit=10&page=1#bb98

"I'm looking into the overloaded method related parts (I don't mean the patch)
and... there are other issues as well. Certainly I will have to *try*
redesign/rewrite this stuff pretty much (it's tricky because of FM object
wrapping), and of course, I will have to add switch where you can chose between
old and the new implementation, globally or per template. Now this 100% won't
be finished in two days, so I guess 2.3.20 will be release without this, but
then I continue working on this, and release 2.3.21 when this and some other
smaller things are done..."

Thanks,