I disagree. Freemarker is, itself, a custom technology and one of dwindling
popularity. If we insist on using server side page templates then maybe we
should be looking at http://quercus.caucho.com/. You may think I'm nutty but
consider that we could write an adapter layer for Magento templates.

I'm convinced that the system needs to be separated into two layers, a
business logic core and a separate interface rendering layer. Even if
we have a server side rendering mechanism it should have the same access
parameters to the core as a remote swing or Javascript application. In other
words, the web actions that have privileged access to global static class
and so on need to go. The business logic that is trapped in those web actions
is tightly coupled with the specific HTML presentation they are linked with
and can't be reused elsewhere.

In fact, one of the biggest challenges we have is that the existing UI code
makes extensive use of direct delegator calls to render the interface but the
delegator is not available remotely for obvious security reasons. How is
another view technology (dynamic javascript, swing, whatever) supposed to
achieve the functionality that the existing UI provides? You have to rewrite
everything as services and many of those services don't exist because the
UI is using delegator access instead. Am I making any sense here?

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
e...@brainfood.com