From: Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 01:08:17
To: dev@ofbiz.apache.org<dev@ofbiz.apache.org>
Subject: Empty folders

Hi,

I noticed that we have a number of empty folders, 30 actually:

applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/images
applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/lookup
applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/test
applications/marketing/script/org/ofbiz/sfa/opportunity
applications/marketing/webapp/sfa/account
applications/marketing/webapp/sfa/party
applications/order/webapp/ordermgr/includes
applications/order/webapp/ordermgr/WEB-INF/actions/report
applications/product/webapp/catalog/includes
applications/workeffort/src/org/ofbiz/workeffort/project
framework/base/cert/demoCA/certs
framework/base/cert/demoCA/crl
framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/test
framework/webtools/webapp/webtools/component
framework/webtools/webapp/webtools/includes
specialpurpose/birt/lib/scriptlib
specialpurpose/birt/src/org/ofbiz/birt/report/context
specialpurpose/birt/webapp/birt/WEB-INF/attachments
specialpurpose/cmssite/template/docbook/epub/bin
specialpurpose/cmssite/template/docbook/epub/bin/lib
specialpurpose/cmssite/template/docbook/epub/bin/xslt
specialpurpose/cmssite/template/docbook/tools/bin
specialpurpose/example/webapp/exampleext/WEB-INF
specialpurpose/oagis/webapp/oagis/WEB-INF/actions
specialpurpose/oagis/webapp/oagis/WEB-INF/actions/message
specialpurpose/scrum/dtd
specialpurpose/scrum/lib
specialpurpose/scrum/patches
specialpurpose/scrum/webapp/demotest/actions
specialpurpose/scrum/webapp/demotest/WEB-INF/actions

I just had a look at the 4 1st ones and they are residues of commits where a
last inside files was removed but not the folder, this without any valid
reasons.*
*Though for the 1st one
applications/accounting/webapp/accounting/images
this could be discussed. Because Hans removed/replaced an Ajax functionnality
rather than fixing it. There are maybe valid reasons for that, but this
would need to be verified.

I ask about them, because, as you might know, Git does not handle empty
folders. So this can be a pain where you have to put place holders files for
Git to keep the empty folders.
On the other hand you could say that it's not a probem because these folders
are useless. So why care about then in Git?
Because there are enough (30) empty folders to let ask yourself about which
ones to keep (put a place holder in) and which ones to drop (let Git
forget them).
Also a person asking this question would rather ask, why to keep them, if they
are useless!

So I will continue to check that, to remove all those that are definitively
useless.