Hi Ron,

On Jun 16, 2014, at 5:15 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> -1
>
> Given the errors in  the wiki documentation and the lack of on-line help, it
> is hard to see how this could be considered "tested" (try to install it using
> the docs for a "recommended" production database and you can see it is not
> possible that it passed "manual tests" unless the test suite is too trivial
> to be taken seriously) or "complete" (on-line help just opens a page of
> sections headings that does not do anything when you click on it).
>
> I don't see any Release notes in the distribution.

Unfortunately our releases do not include documentation: the reason is that the
amount and quality of documentation available is not good enough for being part
of a release.

> Are the new features at least documented?

No, even if in this specific case we are delivering a bug fix release with no
new features.

> Did the use cases for the new features and bug fixes get into the
> documentation?

No, even if you can find some sparse information here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Main+New+Features

and in Jira.

> If the PMC group continues to allow new releases to be made without any
> attention to documentation, OfBiz will never get the documentation that it
> needs. At least make documentation of items that are worked on in a release,
> mandatory.

I disagree that we should implement this strategy to improve the documentation:
the OFBiz project doesn't release very often and in the past this was a problem
for the ASF; now the situation is improved and we should go on with what we are
doing; of course we should always try to improve our product (code and
documentation).
But I completely agree with you that the community should focus on the creation
and maintenance of good documentation; when this will happen we could bundle it
with the releases or publish as a separate product ("The Apache OFBiz Manual"
or similar).

> Is it possible for the PMC to set some targets for a target level of
> documentation so that there is a baseline set of JIRA issues on which the PMC
> agrees?

We should really start this conversation in the dev list (rather than Jira or
the PMC private list); some topics to discuss: how can we improve the existing
documentation? (Confluence vs ASF CMS vs OFBiz website vs etc..) Who should
maintain it? (Public wiki with moderators vs committers specialized in writing
docs vs etc...) What kind of documentation is essential and what is mandatory?
Who is the target audience of the documents (Tech teams interested in the
customization of OFBiz vs End users vs ...) How to use Jira to automatically
generate release notes?

Jacopo