I agree that we would want to revisit the auto-update feature.
The notion of an interval may be obsolete because the data would
get "pushed" when the change occurs rather than polling for it.

That is the reason that NIO is required, so that the new Tomcat
CometEvent classes can be used. They do not function with the
standard HTTP connector.

We could also implement websockets under Tomcat and gracefully
fall back to long polling if the browser doesn't support them.
Even IE does them as of IE9 so we wouldn't exactly be putting
ourselves on the bleeding edge by supporting them.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
e...@brainfood.com