New JEP Candidate:http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/223  has an interesting take on
numbering of releases.

I believe that this is partially related to the emphasis on security in on-line
services and perhaps the specialization of security functions in organizations.
It also reflects the fact that backporting of security releases is required
even where there is no desire to support backporting of new functionality.
If you have a 1307.01.21 and a 1307.02.21, you know that both releases have the
same security patches applied even though 1307.01.21 has no additional
functionality than 1307.01.20.

It also makes it easier to identify what security patches have been applied to
a particular release.
One can say that security release 20 fixes issues 5678, 5789 and 5794 (as they
apply to each 1307.x release) while 21 fixes issues 5799 and 6002 (as they
apply to each 13.x release).

The definition of what constitutes a security release in OFBiz will be
different than in a JDK or OS.
I would suggest that any issue that would allow a user who was aware of the
problem to compromise the integrity of the data or business process would
qualify.

It looks like an interesting proposal and does not appear to break any build
practices.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler