> Diminishing the project to something that Scott would like to result in (a
> project that only works on - in a debatable order of importance - frame
> work elements, base registers as party, order and product, and e-commerce)
> is, in my opinion, a path to the ASF attic.

I completely disagree with that opinion and since so much of what you wrote is
based on that premise, I won't bother replying to the rest.

I can only speak to what I've experienced and what I've seen but in general:
- The core components that live under framework and applications (which
certainly are not best described as "base registers") are the most useful set
of components to implement anything a business might need.  I've worked for
many different clients and many different projects over the last 7 years and
aside from ecommerce I have never had a set of requirements brought to me that
fit well with any of the special purpose components.
- Contributions to the applications/framework components outweigh those
received by the special purpose components by a massive scale (no I don't have
numbers, I just have that impression from reading almost every user/dev email
for the last 9 years)

Given that OFBiz exists today in large part because of the very adaptable
"core" components, the premise that focusing only on those is a path to the ASF
attic is quite false.

What the OFBiz project needs to be aiming for (IMHO) is to be a lean code base
that is capable of meeting the core needs of the largest possible number of
businesses.  Virtually all large applications (open source or otherwise) gain a
large portion of their strength by having a healthy and diverse external
ecosystem.  Look at Eclipse, Magento and Xero to name a few.  Attempting to
keep everything in-house within the TLP is the equivalent of Apple trying to
build every application an iDevice might need instead of opening the AppStore.
They would've ended up with a large number of sub-par applications but instead
they focused on a few core apps that almost everyone would use.  Phone OS's are
actually a really good example of how important it is for a platform to have a
healthy eco-system.  I think that the special purpose components are a good way
to bootstrap an external eco-system that would help diversify OFBiz as a
platform.

Attempting to make OFBiz even more monolithic is the wrong course.

Regards
Scott