On 19/02/2015 12:36 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

Le 19/02/2015 17:19, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
That would be great.
I do not have write access to that part of the wiki but I could contribute some text and examples and links to the sites that I have found for Graphviz.

It would be good to have some guidelines ( "Use the embedded Wiki tools such as Graphviz and Gliffy whenever possible." "when you create a grphic externally, add the source file to a child page as an attachment with the name of the tool and how the graphic can be regenerated." If you create Use Cases or other UML, add the model as a child page.")

What are people using for UML?

I believe most people use ArgoUML, at least I know the Neogia team did at some point They also mentioned their UFO tool http://www.neogia.org/wiki/index.php/U.F.O. It has only the entity part, but anyway, sincerely I'm not a fan of UML and such, I'm more inclined to something like Hemp where graphics are less important https://www.linkedin.com/groups/HEMP-Book-Now-Available-4640689.S.255382432

I tend to find https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Data+Model+Diagrams enough for my needs. For my day to day work, I rely more on search in OOTB *mode*.xml files. Data Model Diagrams sounds convenient but they are also often blurring things. When you have a data model with 800+ tables it's not surprising...

I agree that looking at the entity definitions is better specially since the graphics are 5 years old. If the drawings were updated as changes are made, it would be a more useful tool.

Jacques

One can use Gliffy but it does not create a model so there is no repurposing or analysis possible from the effort of creating the drawing. I have only seen a few Use Case drawings in the wiki but I did not find the source model that was used to create the drawings or even a mention of the tool used and I did not check to see if they were in Gliffy or not.
I use ArgoUML which is free and open source.
It is pretty complete but like some other open source products, it lacks a bit of polish and the docs are spotty.

Ron