I have used for the past 7 years and love it.

It does take a bit of getting used to but once you have your projects and Maven repo set up, it is really smooth.

New people only have to worry about code and the policy that you follow for releases and SNAPSHOTs. Dependencies, builds, project structure, deployment are all pre-defined when they check-out a project. They do not have to worry about the build process, it is all in the POM and if they know Maven, it is the same as every other project that they have worked on.

It encourages a rigorous and consistent development process.

It also makes it easy to share libraries and I don't see how the framework could be popular on its own, if it was not available in Maven Central as a Maven artifact.

Most people get into trouble trying to do crazy things like using Maven as a deployment tool. It is good at what it does and there are other tools - installers - that are better at packaging up things for deployment.

We use it exclusively from within Eclipse/STS so we have nice GUI tools for managing dependencies and triggering builds and tests. We use a small subset of the plug-ins and have never had the need to build a custom plug-in.

When I was young with no grey hair, I got used to building with Ant and still love it for system administration scripts
I don't like it as a build tool.
I can see its value as part of creating the deployment configurations that get fed into an installer to support multiple deployment packages (containers, operating systems, with/ without demo data, etc.) and post-installation scripts to load demo data or set up the run-time configuration (container configuration, server startup, etc.).

Ron