On 04/21/2015 12:29 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
On Apr 21, 2015, at 12:33 AM, Adam Heath <doo...@brainfood.com> wrote:

(picking a random email to respond to; I haven't read anything of this thread
all weekend, I will need to spend some time doing so)

Fyi, I have framework/start, base, and entity all compiling with maven now. API test
cases work.  Separate foo.jar and foo-test.jar are done.  META-INF/services/ all
located properly.  Everything in base/lib/** and entity/lib/** has <dependency>
settings in pom.xml, but *without* having to download anything(yet).  I can't stress
enough that there are *no* changes to any existing files. Absolutely none.

As such, due to the volume of this discussion, I will be coming up with a way
to have all these poms overlayed(or some other technical solution) to an
unmodified ofbiz checkout.  Git submodules might not be the right approach, I
need to look at git subtree a bit more.

ps: It's suprising how quickly I was able to start getting maven to work.  I
thought it would be extremely difficult.

pps: I did a comparison of ant, ivy, maven, and gradle at
http://trends.google.com/.  Maven is the correct choice, gradle is too new.
Hi Adam,

I would suggest you to revert your commit until this discussion settles down
and a final decision is taken by the community.

My commit is not breaking anything.  Why remove something that is harmless?

Let's be positive and forward enabling; if a commit is reverted, then that reversion has not stopped any discussion, and now the original committer will have to do more work to re-add what was removed.

This particular commit has not changed anyone's workflow, has not altered any existing file; it hasn't even broken any automated tests. Has anyone complained about eclipse or netbeans ceasing to function, because suddenly there is a pom.xml at the top level? in fact, no one will notice unless they run maven themselves. Seriously, what is the harm in leaving this early POC in trunk, esp. when I am willing to move over to an svn branch away from trunk?

You have my attention. I have altered my off-work hours, to give up some of my free time, to improve the project. That is a big deal for me. Why not make use of this time in a productive matter? I am willing to do work. I am willing to move forward. I am implementing.

Also, and this may sound like I'm tooting my own horn(well, ok, it is), but *I* implemented macros.xml and common.xml. I made the build system simpler. We used to have to copy the full build.xml into every component, and any changes had to be done to all of them. With this new build system(stating again, nothing has been broken *at all* with what has been added), not only will we be able to have the same set of current features, but we will get *even more*.

Proper inter-project dependencies. Proper downloading of external libraries. No longer will anything be embedded. The LICENSE and NOTICE files will be reduced to a fraction of their size(and auto-generated, there's a maven plugin for this, based on all listed <dependency> items). All those project pages you see about project info, javadocs, etc, are produced by maven plugins. Better project distribution(maven can publish directory to a repo). Automatic version updates(all that TRUNK stuff in my examples). OFBiz will be a better behaved system in the Apache Family. Less work will be needed to maintain our own custom build.xml, as now the community at large will continue to improve the maven ecosystem. Less NIH.

ps: In case you didn't notice, I have created a JIRA issue for this(OFBIZ-6271), and an svn branch. I will not be submitting separate patches into that issue; instead, changes will be in the branch. This allows for proper history to be maintained, once the change is merged in. I will continue to use git locally for this(as I always have), and will go silent for a short bit, but then mass-commit changes afterI have finessed them into something presentable. A new burst is coming in a few hours.