As Ashish and some others mentioned, those are still needed by some of our
users.
Of course we need to maintain them (logically more those who are interested)
but we can't neglect our users based on code cleaning/refactoring.
And if we mix all in a ball of mud it, the cost of maintaining it will be increased. So agree with you on this part Pierre, and we need 1st to separate things surgically and then decide about the parts.

But, I don't like the idea of having them in "repos" (I guess you  svn branches
or GitHub repo/branches?) because they would be disconnected.
I still can remember the effect of dropping the specialpurpose component, but
ecommerce, in R13.07 (OK they were still in svn, see?)
I mean once things are disconnected, and as long as we don't have a good/fast/reliable technical way to connect them, they tend to be forgotten (see what we initially discuss here), not maintained and finally garbage.

On the other hand, as soon as we will have a solid way to support addons, those
will be perfect addons.
And no, I'm not speaking out of thin air, we (PMC) are currently discussing about deep modifications in the project which should help support, creation and adoption of addons (hint: look at Moqui, though we don't want to incorporate Moqui framework)
Of course it's not for tomorrow, but we need to take time to decide on crucial
choices.

As I said already dropping the bathwater with the baby is not a solution :)

Jacques