Hi Dimuthu-

In regards to question #2, there should not be any licensing issues.

Marlon

From: DImuthu Upeksha
<dimuthu.upeks...@gmail.com<mailto:dimuthu.upeks...@gmail.com>>
Date: Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 12:40 AM
To: "d...@airavata.apache.org<mailto:d...@airavata.apache.org>"
<d...@airavata.apache.org<mailto:d...@airavata.apache.org>>,
"dev@oodt.apache.org<mailto:dev@oodt.apache.org>"
<dev@oodt.apache.org<mailto:dev@oodt.apache.org>>
Subject: Feasibility of using OODT file manager in Airavata

Hi all,

I have been working on integrating a file staging server for Apache Airavata as
a part of my GSoC project. Main purpose of doing this is to manage and store
input/ output files for Airavata experiments.

Main use case is as follows.

1. Clients (users) can push input files and metadata to file server (OODT file
manager) and should receive the url/ identifier of uploaded file to provide to
Airavata
2. Users submit experiments to Airavata with the url of uploaded input file
3. Airavata should be able to fetch the input file over SCP or some other
mechanism. If the file server exists in same machine where Airavata also has
been hosted, Airavata can directly fetch the file from the repository folder.
 4. Once the experiment (job) is done, Airavata should be able to push output
files to file server and notify the client.
5. Client should be able to download the output file.

In addition to that, enforcing security in uploading and downloading files is
required.

I tried OODT file manager by following this [1] tutorial and managed to push
and download files using command line tools. Before going in to integration, I
need to know some details about the feasibility of using OODT file manager for
this scenario.

1. Can OODT file manager simulate the role of file server that I have mentioned
earlier without using other modules of OODT project?
2. Is there any licensing issue if I use OODT file manager in Airavata?
3. What is the preferred way of using file manager client to talk to the file
manager programatically? Simply, is there a Java API for file manager client
rather than cli commands?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/OODT+Filemgr+User+Guide

Thank You
Dimuthu