I think this is a great approach and am +1 for it.

Cheers,

Chris

From: Imesha Sudasingha <imesha...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>
Date: Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 4:13 AM
To: dev <dev@oodt.apache.org>
Subject: [DISCUSSION] Logging in OODT

Hi All,

When I was working on stabilizing Avro RPC versions of file manager,

workflow manager and resource manager, it became extremely difficult to

debug due to lack of logging in OODT. Therefore, we need more logging

support throughout the project. Personally, I find *java.util.Logging (JUL)*

not convenient to use since it requires explicit string concatenation when

logging.

As a solution, I suggest to use SLF4J which has already been used partially

in same components in OODT. Therefore, I have re-opened an existing issue

[1] related to this and created few sub tasks. I want to know your opinion

on following,

1. As for now, we can redirect [2] JUL logs to SLF4J logs by adding a new

handler to existing logging.properties files. Will that be ok? In future we

can completely remove JUL log lines.

2. Will there be any backward compatibility issue if we add log4j2 along

with log4j2.xml's to distributions from 1.9 onwards?

What are your thoughts?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OODT-693

[2]

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6020545/send-redirect-route-java-util-logging-logger-jul-to-logback-using-slf4j