Concerning long-polling (Comet, WebSockets etc. pp), depending on the
framework you use the actual polling implementation is getting
abstracted. So the user would get the impl depending on the
capabilities provided by the browser and you on the other hand would
not need to worrie about such technical details. I know Dojo does such
abstraction... not sure about jQuery...

PS: The Mockup reminds me very much about the Eclipse perspective/view
concept. Probably using Eclipse RAP for the UI would be an
overkill/unsuitable but there you would get such UI
lay-outing/structuring mechanisms for free :)

Cheers
Daniel