On Oct 8, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Neale Rudd wrote:

> Suggest following Tomcat-style change-log.  One file which has all 1.x.x
> release notes with a one-liner describing the change/feature and a link to
> Jira if people want to investigate.

Do you mean like this?

 - http://tomee.apache.org/tomee-1.5.0-release-notes.html

Or do you want all the release notes from the previous releases?  Or did you
mean something else?

> - simple examples (helps get people started, helps to demonstrate why TomEE
> is useful to their company)

Any ideas on how we can improve these to better match what you imagine?

 - http://tomee.apache.org/examples-trunk/index.html

> - easy to navigate docs (avoids ??% of the questions on the user list,
> freeing up dev time, which is *so* important for bugfixes and new features)

And more docs :)

> - integration with leading IDE's (TomEE could at least have excellent docs on
> how to use Tomcat IDE settings, linked directly from the main web page for
> easy transition)

We've got a video and doc for Eclipse.  The video isn't linked from the doc
page and the doc ins't linked from the main page.  Help welcome there -- from
anyone reading.  Here are the bits if someone wants to improve things:

 - http://tomee.apache.org/tomee-and-eclipse.html
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr8pxEACVRI

> - easy to navigate release notes (easy to see what's changed, in 2 minutes,
> without browsing dev@ or long jiras)

Any ideas on how to make this easier to navigate?

 - http://tomee.apache.org/tomee-1.5.0-release-notes.html

> - upgrade notes (per revision + per major revision) - very important if used
> in a production system, I review these personally for every Tomcat subrelease
> and make changes to our templates as necessary

We definitely don't have anything there.  Wondering how we could realistically
capture that information.  Getting something in place and getting people to use
it are always difficult initiatives.

> - frequent releases (and TomEE should keep-up, like MariaDB does with MySQL -
> this is critical IMHO)

Completely agreed.

> - alpha, beta, rc -> release strategy (this would have avoided the 1.5.0 win
> issue)

Can you elaborate on the flow you have in mind?  We do have restrictions on the
workflow Apache allows, so we may or may not be able to do that, but it'll be
good to understand.

We did have about 3 sets of potential release binaries and another 2-3 sets of
preview binaries (not quite ready for voting).

-David