1) I use this batch to build fully:

set MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m
-Xss2048k
rem mvn dependency:purge-local-repository
mvn -e -ff -Dejbd.port=9988 -DuniqueVersion=false -Dassemble clean install

And add the following for a quick build if I know the buildbot is passing:

-Dmaven.test.skip=true

2) I find SVN 1.7+ to be significantly faster than older versions. What
version server are we running? I would only move to GIT if we had serious
issues with SVN. Each has "for's" and "against's". Too many to list.

Some good reading:

http://www.codeforest.net/git-vs-svn
http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/migrating-from-subversion-to-git-and-the/240009175

And another possible solution (which has a very nice smell of 'freedom'):

http://subgit.com/eap/