Some general comments...  Extending the OpenJPA kernel for JDO is definitely
doable.  The original code base (BEA's Kodo) had a JDO personality, but it
was never contributed to the OpenJPA project.  At least for a period of time
(I don't know if it still is), BEA and then Oracle continued to support this
JDO personality internally.  So, I know it's a doable endeavor...

The other bit of news is that our own Craig Russell is a bit of JDO
expert...  :-)  And, he might even know a thing or two about the JDO
personality.

Good luck,
Kevin