As I suggested on IRC earlier this week, try setting the following property
to see if it makes things work...
<property name="openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary"
value="derby(storeCharsAsNumbers=false"/>

If it doesn't work, enable trace and let us take a peek.
<property name="openjpa.Log" value="DefaultLevel=trace"/>

Thanks,
Rick

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Kay Wrobel <kay.wro...@gmx.net> wrote:

> I have to make a correction to the last statement in my original post: The
> content values of DISCOUNT_CODE field are /*not*/ of numeric value, but
> actual characters, such as 'H' or 'M'. Sorry for causing confusion.
>

> On 10/24/2013 03:17 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> My finding so far is that the DerbyDictionary doesn't overwrite
>> storeCharsAsNumbers, so it's still defaulted to true.
>> This code is exactly which trashes in the sample
>>

>> Caused by: java.sql.SQLDataException: Invalid character string format for
>> type int.
>>          at
>> org.apache.derby.client.am.**SQLExceptionFactory40.**getSQLException(Unknown
>> Source)
>>          at
>> org.apache.derby.client.am.**SqlException.getSQLException(**Unknown
>> Source)
>>          at org.apache.derby.client.am.**ResultSet.getInt(Unknown Source)
>>          at org.apache.commons.dbcp.**DelegatingResultSet.getInt(**
>> DelegatingResultSet.java:225)
>>          at org.apache.commons.dbcp.**DelegatingResultSet.getInt(**
>> DelegatingResultSet.java:225)
>>          at org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.**DelegatingResultSet.getInt(**
>> DelegatingResultSet.java:137)
>>          at org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.**DBDictionary.getInt(**
>> DBDictionary.java:841)
>>          at org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.**DBDictionary.getChar(**
>> DBDictionary.java:740)
>>          at org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.**ResultSetResult.**
>> getCharInternal(**ResultSetResult.java:300)
>>          at org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.**ResultSetResult.**
>> getObjectInternal(**ResultSetResult.java:377)
>>
>> The stacktrace is with todays 2.3.x branch snapshot.
>>
>> DBDictionary#getChar():
>>      public char getChar(ResultSet rs, int column)
>>          throws SQLException {
>>          if (storeCharsAsNumbers)
>>              return (char) getInt(rs, column); <-- line 740 boom
>>
>> The question for me is how Derby usually stores char fields internally.
>> Is our DerbyDictionary just wrong and should it set storeCharsAsNumbers
>> to false?
>>
>> There is of course the option to use @ColumnDefinition in the entity.
>> This should bypass this flag (I hope, didn't test it yet).
>>
>> LieGrue,
>> strub

>>> 2.3.0-SNAPSHOT), the derby client driver (derby.jar, derbyclient.jar,

--
*Rick Curtis*