Mark --

> The idea is to have a java8 module which has entities with java8 features
so we can better test those. The reason I like to have this is that I did
not manage to get OpenJPA working with entities containing lambdas.

I don't have time this morning to dig into toolchains, but it seems like a
reasonable approach. I have one (possibly bad) thought that I wanted to run
by others. Can we bump the requirement to build OpenJPA to Java 8 as long
as we continue to build the runtime at a java 7 class level? I'm not sure
if this runs the risk of referencing java8 class libraries that will
compile, but won't work at runtime due to class format version errors? ...
or perhaps there are other reasons why this is a bad idea?

> The reason I like to have this is that I did not manage to get OpenJPA
working with entities containing lambdas.
Can you send some more details (perhaps on a separate thread) about these
problems? Joe did a bunch of work late last year to get Entities to work
with java8 language features. He(?) has a bunch of tests that could
probably be contributed once our build is able to support doing so. I
believe these changes made it into trunk and 2.2.x.

> shouldn't we rework enhancement before - hoping to simplify the build
before?
I know we've been saying that we need to ditch serp for ASM for quite a
long time... but that is a rather terrifying change. If someone is going to
try to tackle this task, I'd prefer to see the work done in a separate
experimental branch. I don't foresee that change going smoothly.

Thanks,
Rick

--
*Rick Curtis*