I would not change the CLI to load models from jar files. I never used
or saw a command line tool that expects a file as an input and would
then also load it from inside a jar file. It will be hard to
communicate how that works precisely in the CLI usage texts and this
is not a feature anyone would expect to be there. The intention of the
CLI is to give users the ability to quickly test OpenNLP before they
integrate it into their software and to train and evaluate models

Users who for some reason have a jar file with a model inside can just
write "unzip model.jar".

After all I think this is quite  a bit of complexity we would need to
add for it and it will have very limited use.

The use case of publishing jar files is to make the models easily
available to people who have a build system with dependency
management, they won't have to download models manually, and when they
update OpenNLP then can also update the models with a version string
change.

For the command line "quick start" use case we should offer the models
on a download page as we do today. This page could list both, the
download link and the maven dependency.

Jörn