Rob Weir wrote:
On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
On 26/11/2012 Rob Weir wrote:

[Can I install Openoffice on my IPAD?] I nominate this for an FAQ.

I agree. But where is our FAQ page currently? Unfortunately, there's an
"OpenOffice FAQ" easily reachable by search engines at
http://www.openoffice.org/faq.html and quite outdated (I don't know whether
it's reachable from the home page, but it doesn't seem so).

Time to make a new FAQ available or update the old one and link to it from
the current site?

The current location of the FAQ is prominent in search results.  That
is valuable and worth preserving.

But the current FAQ contents are out of date.  They would need a lot
of work to update/correct them.

Although the FAQ's are presented in a way that is OK for the user, the
static HTML source is structured in a way that will be painful to
maintain.   Getting a cleaner structure, for example using HTML
definition lists (<dl>) would be easier and could be maintained via
the CMS web interface.

There is another set of FAQ's on the documentation wiki:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ

These also appear to be unmaintained.  But I think the wiki version
would be easier to maintain.

So one possible resolution could be:

1) Take anything of use from the FAQ's at
http://www.openoffice.org/faq.html and copy them into new FAQ items on
the wiki

2) Update the other FAQ's on the wiki

3) Add new items to the wiki FAQ (like the iPAD question)

4) Delete the old FAQ directory and replace with a single page that
directs the reader to the wiki FAQ's.

-Rob
-Rob

Regards,
   Andrea.

Rob;

I have been updating some of the FAQ's on the wiki site that were tagged as needing help. I am more than willing to start a comprehensive review and clean-up of the User FAQ's on the documentation wiki if that is the way we decide to go. The advantage is that the wiki is easier to maintain and it is already categorized with a toc on the main page.

Regards
Keith