On 7 April 2013 21:24, Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On 7 April 2013 20:58, Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I wonder if the nightly builds support customized builds, if for
> example
> > if
> > > a user wants a build that has some special configuration like,
> anti-alias
> > > by default or a customized default templates or menu layout.
> > >
> > > Can the nightly build infrastructure be used to generate that?
> > >
> > No, our buildbot's run with a preconfigured setup, including number of
> > tasks and configure for each task (job).
> >

> > > If not, why not, what would be needed to do that.
> > >
> > We would need to change away from build bot, it cannot support dynamic.
> All
> > changes in the setup has to be done via the infrastructure svn, where
> only
> > a few have access.
> >
> > But I dont really get, if a user wants a customized build, would it not
> be
> > simpler for him to build it himself ? the nightly build are in my opinion
> >

> Well because a user might want to just click on a build made by an
> automated bot.
>
> This is done a lot by OpenSuSE studio people which can let you remaster
> SuSE through a web interface and download the .iso, virtual machine or
> amazon image.

I can understand the need for an OS, but do we really want to "distribute"
different packages. The binary we deliver, have quite a lot of options for
configuration.

I admit, that I think a lot more in reducing the compile switches (a la,
this is our binary, all compile options are solely for our
developers/testers)....if a compile switch is usefull to a user, it should
be an option in the program instead.

rgds
jan I.