On 03/05/2013 Dr YaLeah wrote:
1)    In an OpenOffice text document that has information lined up in
columns (such as a price list or menu):   When changing the size of
the font the size of "tabs" and "spaces" does not remain consistant,
which makes the columns no longer line up as before. About 1/3 of the
entries will have to have the tabs&/or spaces edited to bring them
back into alignment. This is very time consuming and should be
unnessary. Tabs&  spaces need to be one constant size, never
variable, within each font size. Being able to lock the position of a
column (not as a table) would also work.

You can do so with Format - Paragraph - Tabs (read the manual, i.e., press the "Help" button in that dialog, to know more).

2)    In an OpenOffice spreadsheet:   Within a cell it is common to
want to split wrap-around text at the the author's point of
preference (such as with an address). The placement of multiple
"spaces" to push the text into position is time consuming, sloppy,
and unpredictable at best. Then, if the size of the cell or the font
changes, the entire document has to be searched to repair the
unwanted auto-adjustments. Please provide a way to use commands like
"enter" and "tab" inside the cells.

Press CTRL-Enter.

3)    When pasting information copied from any internet source into
an OpenOffice text document, OpenOffice will consistantly crash at
least 20% of the time. Worse, I've experienced days when it was 98%
of the time. The method I've used is to "block" the desired
information on the website, "control + C" to copy, then "control + V"
to paste the information into my OpenOffice document. Photos cause
the most trouble but text is in no way immune.

Use CTRL-Shift-V (or "Edit - Paste Special"), whenever possible, to paste as unformatted text. If you have a web page that leads to crashes 100% of the times, open a bug in Bugzilla about it: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/

1)In an OpenOffice spreadsheet:     I don't want to have to
reorganize an entire spreadsheet to accomodate a single unusual entry
so is there a way to split one cell into multiple cells?    I'd like
the choice of vertical, horizontal, or multiple splits and also need
to be able to adjust the size of the resultant cells.

You could, even though it is not very handy, merge all other cells and un-merge those that you need split.

2)    In an OpenOffice text document  please tell me how to switch
between "manual" and "auto-placement" of outline numbering. Also, how
do I set "manual" as my default?

Format - AutoCorrect - AutoCorrect Options - Options - Disable "Apply numbering - Symbol *"

Regards,
  Andrea.