On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> wants to

> those

> only
> of

> our
> something

> suggestions

> >> ok, this looks pretty good...

> >> Yes, I can do this over the next day or so I think. I just do up a
> static
> >> HTML as you suggest. Maybe like the old listing but without the region
> info
> >> -- to start.
> >>

> >> I started looking at some XML, and XSL just now, and well, not sure how
> >> this could be  handled with the CMS vis a vis standard page headers etc.
> >> We could probaly define a "new" page type.
> >>
> >> For now, static HTML it is.
> >>

> > OK, start here (revision of /distribution/index.html)
> >
> >  http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/index_new.html
> >

> This is a good start.
>
> I wonder if the main page (index.html) should the end-user facing
> page, e.g., the distributor listings?   And then have the FAQ be in
> distributor-faqs.html or something like that?

This might be a good idea. The main facing page IS a bit "preachy" I guess.
The legacy Distribution project's main index page was more like a
combination of the FAQ and "best practices" with links to  CDs, etc. But if
we're only going to be dealing with CDs, no reason to keep that
organization, and it would probably be more friendly for users. (I have an
archive of the old /distribution/index.html).

> Not a big deal, just
> an idea.  Do we know what existing incoming links from 3rd party
> websites point to?

I can't answer this one.

> (or even OO websites?)

Because "distribution" used to be a separate project, there are many links
to "distribution.openoffice.org" and a fair number JUST the cdrom area.

Whatever URL was used for
> the distributor list before should probably stay as the listing page.
> That way the existing links will still be accurate.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html

Since there were more than just CD vendors before, I think the page you
would want to keep the same would be:

/distribution/cdrom/sellers.html  --and/or--  /distribution/cdrom/index.html

The two pages above are in my old archive and are practically identical.

I used this as kind of a template for:

http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html

So... we could:
* replace the old sellers.html with the contents that is now in
http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html
and make that the landing page

and, then have THAT link to the FAQ, and Best Practices which are locate in:

http://www.openoffice.org/distribution<http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/distributors.html>

I suggest we just leave  the /distribution/index.html ( the FAQs) where
they are as there are some cases where links still exist to "
distribution.openoffice.org" so that would still resolve.

I guess we can discuss other matters once we get these moved where we want
them to eventually go.

> Instead of "Location"

I thought this was supposed to be where the company was located...

> maybe "Countries Served" or something like that.
>  Or, in the application process we have a "data dictionary" that
> explains exactly what we want in each field.  (I'm assuming that it
> would be common for someone in the US to be able to sent to Canada
> easily, and someone within the EU can cover more than one country if
> they want.
>
> "Additional Information"?  I'd drop that unless we think it is really
> necessary.  Otherwise it is easy for that to turn into an
> advertisement.  Additional information can go on their website.

Maybe indicate if the medium is CD or DVD? And for what OS versions?
This might save users some clicks.

> > Mockups needing MUCH discussion I'm sure.
> >

> It is a good start.  Maybe we iterate just a little bit more and then
> do the Call for Comments on the blog, so we can get some distributor
> and user views on this.

OK, I can start moving things around soonish.