On Jul 24, 2013, at 11:40 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 07/24/2013 07:07 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> I think you misunderstood me.  I agree with the RTC/CTR discussion, but
>>> that does not prevent the accidential commit, I think it has happened to
>>> most of us, that we commit our changes, and we overlook that another file
>>> is also committed.
>>>

>> I disagree that we have a a problem with accidental overwrites in SVN
>> in cases where it is clear that RTC is in effect.  I think the problem
>> is that it is not clear when CTR is in effect.
>
> I don't think that it will help to prevent every error of this kind.
>
>> Also, I don't see how your solution helps with truly accidental
>> commits.  Surely PMC members make errors as well?
>
> Of course, as they are humans, too. ;-)
>
> But you don't become a PMC member by default. You need to show some things
> that you have understand how the page is turning. And then I doubt that such
> error would happen.
>
> So, I also think that we should do more than just turn the CTR into RTC and
> expect that no mistakes will happen after that.
>
> My 2 ct.

I think that there are a few things to think about.

We can all understand when RTC and CTR are in effect. These are different in
different systems.

We are talking about a situation where a commit was made that was not
acceptable. Since it was in svn we can always revert. In other systems we have
other means of restoration.

I don't think we need extra security. We may need a review of our systems to
know what is in effect. WIth that in hand we can discuss what policy changes to
make.

Whatever changes might be made they should be the smallest possible and kept
simple.

Regards,
Dave