On 19.08.2013 11:18, janI wrote:
On 19 August 2013 10:43, Herbert Duerr <h...@apache.org> wrote:
[...]
There is no need to develop a new framework. Please check Zhe Liu's
wonderful work on test automation that I referenced above [2] that is
already available in our "test/" directory. It is very powerful, clean and
relatively easy to use.

not only does it look very powerful, the documentation is easy to read and
seems very complete.

Am I correct in assuming, this is not used today for our current testing ?

Its quite easy for everyone who is able to checkout and build AOO to run them [1]. The "official" Apache don't run them yet. My local buildbot does daily BVT (Build Verification Tests) and FVT (Functional Verification Tests) tests.

The full test suite of BVT (Build), FVT (Functional), SVT (System), and PVT (Performance) tests takes about 24h on dedicated powerful hardware. And there are still too many false positives resulting from timeouts, connection problems, wrong slot IDs, etc.

If a couple of the testers started to use that and update/expand with their
tests, it would cost nearly the same time as the test does today, but with
the huge benefit, that we can repeat the test as often as we like.

big +1 from me, to get us running down this path.

Agreed. The framework is a great asset that should be leveraged. If we can eliminate the still too frequent false positives then we could send automatic reports to the mailing list.

[1] http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/test_automation_guide#Getting_started_with_command_line

Herbert