I think Max meant to write "[Microsoft] Word file" and by "explorer"
he meant "Windows Explorer" not "Internet Explorer".

You wrote that you were having problems opening certain existing documents.

Using Windows Explorer, right-click on one such file.
Choose "Open With ..." and then "Choose program ...".
This will show a list of programs (may take a short while).
Select the program which you want Windows to use to open the file in future.
For documents, choose Microsoft Word
For spreadsheets, Microsoft Excel
e.t.c.

You will need to do this once for each different type of file
(document, spreadsheet, presentation, etc.)

==

If you are *still* having problems, right-click and select "Properties".
Near the top of the properties display there should be a section with
the entries:

Type of File:
Opens with:

Make a note of the settings and ask again.