On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ASF infra had to clean up the CWiki due to a lot of spam. Thus, ASF infra
> put in place new default access rights.
> In short: the right to edit CWiki pages needs to be granted
> person-by-person.

OK.  That explains it then.

We have a few pages that the new volunteer orientation pages ask a new
volunteers to edit, as one of their first contributions.  These are
the Directory of Volunteers, as well as specialized pages for QA and
L10 volunteers.   Hopefully we agree that having such lists is a good
idea, so we should decide what we want to do know, and I can adjust
the orientation pages accordingly.

1) Move these pages to the MWiki.   Is spam a problem there?  Can
anyone still sign up there for an account?   Is there any tool that
will convert CWiki to MWiki pages?

or

2) Is there any way to mark specific pages in CWiki as open-access
pages?   There are only 3 or so such pages that are like this for us.
So it might be acceptable, from a spam perspective, if the default
edit requires special permissions, except for these 3 pages.

or

3) We change the orientation pages so the new volunteer requests a
wiki permissions as part of their introductory note to the mailing
list.  Looking at the page history, this looks like it would lead to
an average of one request every 2 days.  But if the request is done as
part of the introduction email it would not generate more traffic.
But this would be extra work for wiki admins, so we might want more
volunteers there.

I believe nearly every project contributor will eventually want both
CWiki and MWiki accounts, so we cannot really avoid the account
management side of this.

Any other ideas?

-Rob